Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Turkey Day Data

Everyday Math is a fairly wordy program for beginning first graders. Within the test given at the end of Unit 2 is a table of data for the number of teeth lost by children. The numbers are listed in the form of tally marks for those kids who lost 1 tooth, 2 teeth or 3 or more teeth. About 1/3 of my students were not able to gather correct information from the table despite the fact that I read the test item to them.

Comments on our classroom blog were at an all time low and my students obviously needed authentic practice in reading and interpreting tables. I decided to attempt to kill two birds with one stone and create my digital lesson around this topic. Click Activity Sheet for lesson plans.

I started prepping for the lesson at our last USM class by speaking with Janny who had shown me some online surveys for our families to fill out. The problem with every survey I viewed was that they were too involved. We needed to ask just one question and after mulling over the choices, I decided to make it simple and have the class create a question that families could answer in list form within the comment area of our classroom blog. That week I posted a heads up for families to let them know we'd be polling them soon concerning what they eat every Thanksgiving.

The next week I checked out the LCD projector that was purchased for our wing and learned how to run it. It was amazingly easy to use. The class was able to watch me post their question and insert a picture of a turkey. As usual, I made hard copies for my four families without internet so that their data was also available. I asked a mom of one of my students if she knew of any tables and tally fonts that were free and easy to use. She emailed me that GoogleDocs had a super simple table and also sent a link for a free tally font to download onto my computer's hard drive.

That weekend I created a table in GoogleDocs but was thwarted in using the tally font. It just wasn't possible. My daughter, Tara, was around and she explained that sometimes you can only use the fonts available in the program you're in. (Big news to me!) She sat with me while I cut and pasted the GoogleDocs table into word and then used the tally font there to create a mock up to make sure it'd work in class. I practiced uploading it into the blog and it seemed that I was good to go. Later that night, I got to thinking and decided that I might as well just create the entire table (font and all) in Word when I was in front of the class.

On Monday, I wheeled out the LCD projector and set up shop in front of the class. We read the comments online and on paper. We created a table with the tally mark font in Word. Rather than cut and paste it into the blog, I decided to wait until we had one more day of feedback.

On Tuesday, we set up shop again and updated the tallies on our table. A problem arose when I tried to copy it and insert it into my blog. The tally would not upload and instead numbers showed up on the table. I explained to the kids that I'd have to fiddle with it before it could go online.

During science, our tech support, Jim Grant, delivered a computer to our class. He asked how things had gone with the table. I explained the problem and he fiddled with the table until he was able to insert it into the blog. I think he used a screen shot though I did notice that my Seashore program was open so I'm not really sure how he accomplished the task. (I was in the middle of sifting rocks with first graders.) At any rate, as soon as I'm back to school, I'll stop by for a tutorial concerning exactly what it was that he did. This is not the last table that we'll be using, so I'd like to see it through.

Later, I called my daughter and explained the problem. She thought that it might have something to do with the fact that I created the second table in Word rather than stick with the GoogleDocs table. I had no idea that programs could be so finicky! Honestly, I've learned a lot and have had all kinds of new fun with my class along the way!

3 comments:

  1. I am amazed how far you've come with your use of technology this year, as well as the amount of confidence you've developed! You have great ways for integrating technology into your first grade classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your posts. You always have an original hook (and being a motorcyclist myself... actually just a moped-rider but one day I'll probably want something bigger than 49cc's!)

    About tables, whether in Word or Google Docs (and spreadsheets, too) they are always a bit finicky. Never underestimate the ability of a formatting issue within a table to mess up your whole day.
    Still, like you note, there is tremendous value in figuring out the work-arounds, which is an essential skill in these early days of the electronic technology. Computers still don't work as predictably as our kitchen appliances, but one day they will. Until then, a giant challenge for teachers continues to be their ability to work through the technical issues without losing focus on the objectives of the scholastic endeavor.

    PS I am excited about using Google Docs more. It is a tool that can help us work much smarter with managing our electronic communications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post about learning! First you took the risk of learning something new and then used some great resources around you for help. I agree with Liza's comment about technology not being like kitchen appliances, but we have to remember that the microwave was once new-fangled too! Great job on the lesson. I would also love to show you Google spreadsheets (part of Google docs) for data and graphs if we have time. There are some wonderful child style bar graphs examples in there. Most of all I want to echo Liza and congratulate you for all this new learning! What a great model for your students!

    ReplyDelete